Tuesday, April 29

Farm Season

Farmer's Market

It's farmer's market time again! I get so excited anticipating the arrival of farm fresh produce. The opening date has been circled on my calendar for quite some time now.

Farmer's Market

Luckily we are in the center of a farmer's market triangle - 3 markets in 3 town all about 15 minutes from my house. I do have my favorite, of course.

We discovered one market at the end of the Summer last year. It was somewhat disappointing. Local grown produce, yes. But only two vendors with very little to offer. Of course it was the end of the season so that could be why. I'll make it back again this year - eventually. Another was a big disappointment. Lots of produce but nothing was local. It was nothing more than an outdoor grocery store.

Farmer's Market

The third, however, was just what I was hoping for! Everything is home grown and lots of variety. In addition to the wide array of vegetables, there is also pecans, cheese, eggs, soaps, baked goods, plants, seafood from the Gulf, grass feed beef and so much more. What bounty!

Farmer's Market

Saturday mornings are now set aside for a trip to the farmer's market. We spend the week think about what we hope to find and we spend our weekends planning how to best enjoy it all.

I'm still hoping to find a local CSA. The closest that I have found is over an hour away which just isn't going to work for me (especially with rising fuel costs!). I keep checking however, in hopes that something closer will turn up. In the meantime, you can find me early Saturday mornings filling my bags at the local farmer's market.

Farmer's Market

No comments: