Monday, March 2

A (New) Favorite Meal!

Dinner
Dinner
for my sister, Alison

I made a great Indian inspired dinner recently and I promised my sister I would share the recipes. I have finally gotten around to writing them up.

Easy Curried Beans
Potato and Pea Samosas
Roasted Cauliflower

I made the curried beans using Christmas Limas from Rancho Gordo. They are big (huge!) dark beans with a bit of a nutty flavor and they cooked up so nice and creamy. I think the beans were even better as leftovers, too. We had them over Basmati rice for lunch.

My grocery didn't have fresh cauliflower so I took a chance with frozen. I thawed a bag of flowerets and then tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. I spread it on a sheet pan and roasted at 425º, stirring occasionally. I don't remember how long, though. Just until it started to get caramelized. The frozen cauliflower worked really well.

The boys loved the samosas the best. There were a few left over and they were gobbled up at breakfast.

Potato and Pea Samosas

1 cup mashed potatoes (either use left over or cook a potato and mash)
1/2 cup petite peas
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 sheet puff pastery
1 egg

Mix together the potato, peas, cumin, and curry powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Roll out the puff pastry sheet to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut in to 16 squares. Place about 1 Tbls of filling in the center of each square. Dampen the edges of the dough and then fold one corner over to the opposite side forming a triangle. Seal edges. Transfer to a baking sheet. Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush across the tops of the samosas.

Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

If you make them, let me know what you think.

No comments: