Monday, March 9

Menu + A Recipe

crockpot

The lower heating element in my oven stopped working. It's an easy fix but the part had to be ordered. While I wait, my crock-pot is getting a real work out. I love using my crock-pot but I have a hard time finding a variety of recipes for it. It's seems there are a lot of soup or bean recipes (which I love but the kids start to complain) or 'chicken in a cream of something soup' recipes (which all taste the same to me). I'm on a mission to find some new recipes to add to my collection.

Sunday
Lentil Soup
Crusty Bread
Chive Butter

Monday
Taco Soup
Tortilla Strips
Green Salad

Tuesday
Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Sauteed Napa Cabbage

Wednesday
Sesame Teriyaki Chicken Thighs/Tofu
Quinoa Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

Thursday
Pasta Salad with Roasted Red Peppers
White Bean Crostini

Friday
Shrimp and Grits
Green Salad

Saturday
Leftovers

****

Taco Soup

This crock-pot recipe is a favorite of ours. I love it because it is so quick and easy, using things that I normally have on hand and the kids love it because it's like a taco in a bowl! It makes a lot and it freezes beautifully.

1 1/2 pounds ground meat (lean beef or turkey)
1 cup chopped red onion
1 envelope of taco seasoning (I use a Tbls of my own)
1 envelope of Ranch dressing mix (I use 1 Tbls of my own)
2 (15 oz) cans of whole kernel corn, undrained (I use frozen)
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, undrained
2 (10 oz) cans of Rotel Chili Fixin's (I like this kind of Rotel for this recipe because of the extra seasonings)
12 oz light beer
1 1/2 cups of water

Cook the beef and the onions together in a medium skillet. Drain.
Combine meat mixture and the rest of the ingredients in a 5-6 quart crock-pot. Cook on low 5-6 hours.
Top with shredded cheese, diced avocado, chopped scallions, sour cream or what ever you prefer.

Makes 16 cups

2 comments:

Dawn said...

My oven went last year and it was hard to find meals to make. Hope it's fixed soon.

Anonymous said...

Here are couple of out of the ordinary recipes (I know that is not always a bonus with kids)http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Braised-Lamb-Shanks-with-Garlic-and-Rosemary-100843

The best way ever to make corned beef (I didn't care it for it at all until I tried this recipe)
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1612,157180-243201,00.html