Thursday, January 27

About me - SP4

Secret Pal 4 is off and running! These are my answers to the "Get to Know Me" questions for my secret pal (and anyone else that is interested)

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I think everything has it's place and it's purpose. I do really love soft yarns though. (Who doesn't!)

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No. I tried crochet. Didn't like it. It's too bad too because I really want these felted ballet slippers I just couldn't get the hang of crochet though and I don't want to do things that aren't relaxing.
I've not tried spinning but I'd like to.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Cats, cigarette smoke and laundry. Oh wait, I'm not allergic to laundry, I just don't like doing it.

4. How long have you been knitting?
Just a few months. But I am hooked!

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No but maybe I should. I'll have to look in to that.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Roses. I love roses. Lavender too. I'm not too fond of sweet smells though.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Just a little. I prefer salty snacks - popcorn, pretzels. I like sour too - lemon, lime (margaritas!)

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I scrapbook and I sew. I have 3 young kids so we do a lot of various crafts. I also like to bake. I guess that is not really a craft though.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have a wide range of tastes in music. I love it all really - I'm a big fan of music. I do listen to a lot of jazz and disco cheers me up and gets me moving. Yes, I can play music on my computer - I often do. I am right now - Renee Olstead.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
RED! I'm all about the red!

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married with 3 boys. We have 3 fish, a hermit crab and countless unnamed dust bunnies

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Umm well... gosh I really have to think on this one. I WOULD like to drive a Zamboni someday. I want a wonderful herb garden and a rose garden. I had one and I loved it. We moved though and I haven't planted a new one yet. I'm not really sure what my life dreams are (is that sad?) I always dreamt of being a Mom and I have realized that dream 3 times over. I now hope that my boys grow up to be good men. We are working on that. I studied Geography in school. I was going to go in to Glacier Research. I often think that if I were to ever go back to school and have a career, I would go in to Forensic Geography. It absolutely facinates me. (I'm still thinking about this question!)

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
No preference yet. I'm still exploring all the different types. I want to try Koigu KPPPM but I haven't found it locally and I haven't gotten around to looking online for it. Those handpainted yarns look so yummy!

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I don't know. I'll let you know when I find one.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Knitting! Oh wait I guess I need to be more specific. I am having lots of fun learning new things and each new project is a new adventure. I DO want to find a pattern for mittens with cables up the back of the hand.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I don't have a long list of FO's so I don't have a favorite. I've enjoyed everything that I have made.

17. What are you knitting right now?
I'm working on the Ribby Cardi, a simple scarf for my son and a French Market Bag. Oh and a sock.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I like some of them. I have one (it's store bought) and it is very comfortable

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
No preference but I do find DPNs to be lots of fun.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I've only used aluminum so far. Using them reminds me of my mother and my grandmother since that is what they always used. *added - I just tried Swallow Casein and they are just wonderful to knit with!

21. Are you a sock knitter?
I'm working on my first pair. (A pair of Magic Stripes) I'm already looking forward to trying more. (I need to find patterns and nifty yarn) I started these socks just to see if I could do the "dreaded" heel and DPN's and to see what self patterning yarn looked like. It's just too much fun not to make more!

22. How did you learn to knit?
From a page in the back of a magazine, then got some help from the Stitch and Bitch Books. I kind of just dove right in. I figured I can learn as I go. I don't pay much attention to the skill level required on patterns.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I guess maybe a month old. I started my version of Cape Mod at Christmas. I made a mistake (almost invisible unless you are looking for it). I set it aside while I decide if that mistake will bug me enough to warrant frogging about 18 inches.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Hedgehogs. I love hedgehogs. I think my favorite animated characters are Pepe la Pew and Peter Pan. I really like Peter Pan - the character, the story, the show.

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas and the 4th of July. I'm very patriotic. Halloween is a lot of fun too though.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Tea cups, Nantucket Baskets, family recipes - the kind of recipes that have a little story attached. I have recipes from my family and from friends and I just love using them. It makes me feel connected. (I like feeling connected) Oh and red shoes! I just love red shoes!

I guess that is it. If I think of anything else to add to my answers, I'll let you know. If anyone wants to know a little more, just ask!

No comments: