Wednesday, February 20

Cookie of the Week

Cookie of the Week (7)

Another week, another cookie. I have fond memories of some grocery store coconut cookies. Little white rectangles with rows of ridges across the top. I'm not sure when I had them last and I can't even remember what they are called. I haven't been able to stop thinking about them, though.

I found a recipe for Coconut Icebox cookies and it sounded like it might fit the bill. They are not exactly what I was imaging but they are close. Actually they are very good, especially with a cup of tea. (but then again, aren't all cookies great with a cup of tea?)

I had to make a couple of very minor changes to the recipe. The first batch in to the oven where HUGE! So big, in fact, they took almost twice the time to cook. The rest of the cookies were made smaller which I think is better anyway. I also found the dough too soft to slice from the refrigerator but just right out of the freezer. Minor changes.

Coconut Icebox Cookies

3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 1/2 c melted shortening
4 c grated coconut
5 1/2 c cake flour, sifted
1 Tbls baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Combine eggs, sugar, melted shortening, and coconut in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture, combining well.

Press dough in to a 8x8 pan lined with wax paper. Cover and refrigerate overnight (place in the freezer). Turn dough out and slice in to 3 logs (slice these in half again - 1.5ish x 8 inches). Cut in 1/4 inch slices and place on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake 400ยบ for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

No comments: