Tuesday, February 12

Cookie of the Week

Cookie Cutters

With it being Valentine's week, I really wanted to use my heart cookie cutters for this week's Cookie of the Week. I had big plans, too. I was dreaming of little heart shaped butter cookies filled with raspberry jam. However, my cookie cutters just weren't the right size for that. I had a really hard time thinking past what I wanted to make to figure out what I was going to make. (this is often a problem for me)

I found a recipe for Old English Crisps - or as I like to call them, Butter and Honey Cookies - and thought I'd give them a try. I like the simplicity of the recipe. There aren't a lot of ingredients. I also like that they are sweetened by honey. I thought this would be something just a little different. The cookies smelled wonderful while baking. You could really smell the honey! They are flaky and tender and they remind me of a good pie crust. (Except with honey!)

The only problem I have with this recipe is that it doesn't make a lot. Most of the time my cookie jar is nearly full. Today it is only about a third of the way filled. We'll have to show a little restraint in our cookie gobbling eating this week, I suppose.

Cookie of the Week (6)

Old English Crisps

3 1/3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup cold butter (cut up)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup honey

Sift the flour and salt in to a large bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Mix in the cream and honey to form a stiff dough. Divide the dough in half and press each in to a disk. Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 300ยบ. Roll dough disk out on a floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut with cookie cutters and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Continue until all dough is used. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden.

No comments: