Wednesday, October 17

Menu Planning Woes

groceries

Dinner has been a real struggle around here lately. I just can't seem to get back in to a good meal planning routine. The boys are all playing Fall baseball and they have pretty intense schedules (another issue I have!). We have to eat on the go 5(!) nights a week and the other two nights usually have to be quick cook meals. Because of this, I am making far too many trips to the grocery store which, really, is just a waste of my time (and more money spent than is necessary).

I've been given a few well intentioned tricks and tips but they all involve frozen meals and take-out. I just can't do that - especially not 5 times a week! Dinner time is so important to me - it's family time. and I NEED to cook for my family.

Fall ball is winding down, our schedules are easing up, the weather is cooling off (just slightly) and I'm starting to get my mojo back. I printed a copy of the week's calendar (I keep our calendar on the computer, color coded and always open) and marked the types of meals we need each night - on the go, quick cook, crockpot, etc. Then I pulled out a couple of my favorite, never-let-me-down cookbooks and filled it in. Finally, I made a grocery list from my menu. The menu is posted on the fridge and I am able to look at it each morning and figure out what I can prep ahead while I clean up the breakfast dishes. So far, so good! I'm also going to keep my weekly menus in a notebook so I can refer back to them. Less work for me later!

*If anyone has an tips, tricks or meal suggestions (especially on the go ideas), I would really love them!

Here is this week's menu:
Sunday
Chili Cheese Dogs
Fries
Raw Veggies

Monday
Roasted Corn and Veggie Quesadillas
Tossed Salad with Lime Vinaigrette

Tuesday
Salisbury Steaks with Wild Mushroom and Onion Gravy
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
Roasted Asparagus

Wednesday
Pizza Night

Thursday
Pretzel Crusted Chicken Tenders with
Chipotle Dipping Sauce
Roasted Veggie Chips

Friday
Barley Beef Soup
Buttermilk Potato Bread

Saturday
Our plans were up in the air until last night. I'll figure this one out today.

2 comments:

Spike said...

I understand this problem very well. Summer time is motorcycle time for us. Lots of quick grab as you go meals or take out. Now that the cooler weather has hit, the motorcycle is cozy in the garage and Sheridan is overbooked in activities...LOL I could use some of your hints too. Actually the crockpot is one of the favorite things.

Your menu looks yummy by the way:-)

Anonymous said...

What about the crock pot? Or quiche? Or chef salad in cups? Or veggie calzones? Just a few quick meal ideas...

What's your recipe for pretzel chicken?

Love ya!
-Ali