Friday, January 19

Starting Again

Sourdough starter

My old sourdough starter went rancid and had to be tossed. At the time, life was busy and we were travelling so I chose not to continue with it. Now, however, is the perfect time for starting again.

I've found a new recipe. Something a little less fussy and easier to maintain. I think it will be a good fit for me. I'm really looking forward to all the exciting possibilities! I hope you'll be here to share them with me.

Edited to add the new recipe:

Sourdough Starter

2 c bread flour
2 c warm water
1 envelope yeast
1 Tbls honey

Dissolve honey in water and add yeast. Slowly stir in flour. Put in to a jar and leave uncovered for 5 days. Some separation is normal. Stir the liquid back in daily. If the liquid turns pink or black or someother "odd" color, discard and start again.

Store starter in the refridgerator. Once a week, pour off approximately half to use or share. Feed the remainder.

1 1/2 c bread flour
1 1/2 c water

Stir in to starter. Leave on counter overnight and then refridgerate.

*Make sure you store your starter in a glass jar with some headroom and stir with a wooded spoon. Never metal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily! Good to see you post - looking forward to more.