Monday, January 22

Food is Love

carrot soup


Cooking for my family is such an important part of who I am. I put a lot of thought into creating good healthy meals. I try to buy fresh local ingredients when I can. I cook from scratch. I make sure we all come together at the table for dinner. Putting a nice meal on the table is one way I let my family know how much they mean to me. I grew up that way and I want my children to grow up that way.

For awhile, however, cooking really lost its luster for me. My efforts were constantly met with complaints so why bother? I bother because I do it not only for them but also for me. Cooking is theraputic. I feel productive and I really enjoy the process. Someday they will appreciate my efforts, but for now I must remember that they are just kids.

I recently read about the Slow Food Movement and while it is a term that I had never heard before, I think it represents my approach to food. My Mom and my Mom-in-law both just call it good old fashioned home cooking.

This year I am feeling a bit renewed. I am once again thinking about the meals I make. I am slowing down and finding joy in the process. Dinners are presented beautifully and puposefully. After all, food is love.

No comments: